Below are the Orr Center’s 10 Pillars to Brain Wellness.
- Socialize – volunteer, join a club, take a class, interact with others.
- Exercise – moderate physical activity protects against cognitive decline.
- Rest – the brain needs rest so try to take one day a week that is largely stress-free.
- Manage Stress – stress contributes to many chronic diseases and chronic painful stress can lead to shrinkage of the memory centers of the brain.
- Practice Moderation – especially where alcohol and calories are concerned.
- Share Your Gifts – engage in activities you are good at, it boosts confidence and self-esteem.
- Avoid Accidents – protect your head at all times from injury.
- Establish a Health Care Team – when you get sick, make sure you have a team of people and doctors to assist you in getting well.
- Practice Brain Wellness – read, write, do puzzles, learn new things.
- Get Spiritual – meditation is one of the many ways to achieve this. Dr. Bender says “Meditation changes the brain for the better”.
Reference Neurology Now – July/August 2010.