I made this over the weekend and I LOVE it! I give this southern dish a slight twist by adding some parsnips! You are going to enjoy it because it’s delicious. The parsnips give it some sweetness! If you want, eat it as a side dish with some brown rice and black eyed peas or lentils of your choice!
1 pound, large bag or bunch of collard greens washed and cut into pieces, make sure to remove excess stems from the leaves
3 strips of bacon – optional – I never use it
2 parsnips peeled then sliced or chopped
1 -2 cloves of pressed or minced garlic
1 small onion chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1. In a large skillet or pan with a lid (I use a wok with a lid), cook the bacon. Once the bacon is cooked, (don’t over cook it, you want it somewhat soft) remove it and slice it up or break in pieces. Set the bacon aside. Drain the the bacon fat off the pan.
2. Melt the coconut oil in the pan and cook the onions with the garlic till translucent.
3. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and heat it up, almost to a boil.
4. Add the collard greens, parsnips, salt, pepper, and bacon if you choose. Mix together.
5. Turn the heat down to low, cover and let simmer till tender! Don’t forget to check the water level and add more if you need it so you don’t burn it.