Why did I decide to write about Adaptogens? It’s probably because you may be feeling stressed out or low on mental & physical energy that results in fatigue. Adaptogens can help with stress and fatigue.
What Influences Mental and Physical Energy
- Poor Diet – If we eat to many refined foods and not enough whole foods including protein we may notice mental and physical fatigue. Eating too much sugar and processed foods can cause a surge in energy resulting in a crash or quick drop in energy.
- Energy Drinks or Caffeinated Drinks – Stimulate the metabolism giving you a short term energy boost and a big rebound in fatigue.
- Super Busy Schedules – When you are super busy you tend to work hard, play harder, and sleep less.
- Social Media & E-Lifestyles – You live in a 24 hour world. The news, media account are always stimulating your brain and can often lead to over thinking and working or worrying.
- Inactivity – Not exercising regularly which actually increases your energy and help you manage stress is a culprit in fatigue.
- Stress – Huge impact on overall energy levels and your health.
It can definitely wreak havoc on your body. When you are under stress it can lead to inflammation as well as a more acidic environment throughout the body. It also tends to tighten and restrict muscles throughout your body. Stress can also affect your digestion creating digestive issues, as well as having trouble sleeping, or noticing more pain.
According to stress.org 77% of us experience physical symptoms due to stress, 48% feel that their stress levels have increased over the past 5 years and 33% feel that they are under extreme levels of stress (2014 figures).
What are Adaptogens
Adaptogens are herbs that help the body improve its ability to “ADAPT” to environmental factors. They help the body buffer the effects of stress as well as adapt to stressful situations. Adaptogens are also known or referred to as tonic herbs and they can offer a wide variety of benefits including:
- Helping the body adapt to stress.
- May help support mood & sleep.
- Support the Nervous System.
- Provide Support for the Glandular System.
- Help reduce fatigue and improve overall stamina.
Some Common Adaptogens Herbs
There are many different adaptogenic herbs, I selected ten of the most common ones so you can become familiar with them and some of their known benefits.
- Ashwagandha – Overall Calming and helps to promote Sleep. It can also be very Restorative, and helps Relieve Anxiety.
- Eleuthero – Promotes Energy, Overall Balance, and Glandular Support.
- Holy basil – Great for overall Stress support.
- Maca – Focuses on Energy as it pertains to those who are Athletic and wanting Peak performance.
- Panax Ginseng – Offers Immune Support, Helps Reduce Fatigue as well as offering Support for the Respiratory System.
- Rhodiola – Overall Stamina, Energy, and Reduces Stress.
- Schisandra – Overall Energy Booster, Supports the Immune System, Promotes Sleep, Reduces Stress.
- Astragalus – Overall Tonic and Immune Support. It is referred to as the “Feel Good” herb.
- Licorice – Offers Adrenal & Glandular support as well as Blood Sugar.
- Gotu kola – Great for supporting Memory & a Healthy Nervous System.
Adaptogens are often taken in an herbal combination for their synergy and broad tonic abilities. This however, does not mean you can not take them individually. I often fluctuate between an herbal combination and Ashwagandha. It is also important to take into consideration if the adaptogens have any contraindications for pregnancy, breastfeeding, medications or allergies. Since adaptogens tend to promote energy, I always recommend starting out with small amount and taking them before 2pm. I also really recommend B vitamins during times of stress and this supplement can work wonders!
Ashwagandha has been widely used in Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine. It is known in Ayurveda for helping with stress, fatigue, pain and diabetes. Currently it also offers some scientific support. In studies, Ashwagandha has been shown to help improve the stress response lowering cortisol levels and reducing situational anxiety. It also supports physical endurance cognition and memory as well as blood sugar levels.
Essential Oils Helping with Stress and Fatigue
Most of you know how powerful essential oils can be, however, do you know why? Essential oils travel from our nose (olfactory bulb) to our limbic system (cerebral cortex) in our brain. They offer aromatic molecular data to this area to communicate with us and inform our body, mind or spirit and are very unique, because each person interprets smells differently. So how one oil interacts with you, it may interact differently with someone else. It also should be noted that a single essential oil can contain hundreds of chemical constituents giving an oil several benefits and can allow an oil to be calming or sedating and stimulating and uplifting at the same time.
This is why essential oils are looked at similarly to how we look at adaptogenic herbs. Some oils can do both – sedate and stimulate giving them modulating capabilities. Some essential oils are widely known to be balancing, modulating, or adaptogenic. They can affect the physiological processes of the body helping us to physically , mentally or emotionally adapt to stress. Combining essential oils with herbs can make your results more effective.
Balancing Essential Oils
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) – Immune System Support, Helps Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Promotes Sleep.
- Neroli (Citrus aurantium var.amara) – Promotes overall Emotional Health, Reduces Stress and Helps with Palpitations.
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) – Very Uplifting for your Mood and Anxiety Relieving.
- Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) – Helps Manage Stress, Tension, and is Uplifting helping with Depression.
- Siberian Fir – Helps with Fatigue and Reduces Anxiety.
Adding adaptogens and essential oils with the SOQI Wellness Products makes a wonderful wellness routine for managing stress and reducing fatigue. The Chi Machine helps to improve overall circulation, promotes energy, promotes mental and physical relaxation. The Chi Machine also helps reduce extracellular fluids. The SOQI FIR Dome offers a gentle warmth helping to relax tight muscles and its associated pain as well as offers support for overall immune health. The Advanced Electro Reflex Energizer utilizes the benefits of Reflexology via electrical stimulation helping to keep the pathways of communication open throughout the body as well as promoting balance in our organs. The E-Power Machine taps into Negative Potential Energy to promote and improve overall cellular energy.